image
0

Schools 1948

POD_0902_Schools
Photo: RTD Staff

In September 1948, as the school year started, Dick Harvey gave a playful tug to Sue Gallegher's pigtails. The new year saw an unexpected boom in registrations across the area. Bellmead and Summer Hill schools on the Petersburg Pike saw such an increase that they considered adding staff and operating classes on two shifts.Continue Reading [→]

image
0

Red Cross 1940

POD_0901_Red Cross
Photo: RTD Staff

In April and May 1940, volunteers with the Chesterfield County branch of the American Red Cross Production Corps put in 314 collective hours of work making 40 dresses, 12 sweaters and 14 banners for the relief drive to aid war-stricken Europeans. The volunteers shown here are (from left) Mrs. A. Baake, Mrs. W.E. Pearce, Mrs. J.P. Belcher, Mrs. W.F. Saunders, Mrs. H.E. Adams, Mrs. N.H. Cogbill and Mrs. H.C. Cline.Continue Reading [→]

image
0

Bellona Arsenal 1950

0830_POD_bellonaarsenal
Photo: RTD Staff

This 1950 image shows part of the Bellona Arsenal property in Chesterfield County. Bellona was built in 1816 by the U.S. government as an Army post, and the nearby foundry supplied the military in the antebellum era. In the Civil War, the complex served the Confederacy. The Luck family renovated the remaining buildings beginning in the early 1940s.Continue Reading [→]

image
0

Poplar Grove mill wheel 1953

0831_POD_mills
Photo: RTD Staff

This December 1953 image shows the tide mill water wheel at Poplar Grove in Mathews, once owned by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The mill, driven by the rise and fall of the tides, was used to grind meal for George Washington’s troops during the Revolutionary War and was burned by Union troops during the Civil War. After being rebuilt, it was in operation through 1912. The water wheel had been worn away over time and was broken at the hub.Continue Reading [→]

image
0

McGuire Hall 1950

0829_POD_rvastreets
Photo: RTD Staff

This July 1950 image shows McGuire Hall at 12th and Clay Streets in downtown Richmond. It opened in 1912 to house the University College of Medicine, which merged with the Medical College of Virginia the following year. It still houses offices, laboratories and classrooms for Virginia Commonwealth University’s medical campus.Continue Reading [→]